10 Tips to Stay More Active in the Workplace
Posted by MoneyKey on July 5, 2016
Staying motivated in the workplace can be a tall order, especially after a tiring day at work. Unfortunately, most offices do not offer free yoga classes at lunch or personal training sessions, so you’ll need to find other ways to stay fit while maintaining a healthy work life. The workplace can be a great opportunity to get healthier. Staying fit is easier than you might think, here are ten steps to stay more active while in the workplace:
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator:
- The stairs pose a great opportunity to increase your leg strength and also improve your cardio-vascular system.
- Switch your desk chair with an exercise ball
- Sitting on an exercise ball is ideal for your lower back and improving posture. It also improves your alertness as slouching is not an option.
- Try Wall Squats
- Take the time out of your day to find a nearby wall. With your back against the wall, place your feet in front of you and knees at a 90-degree angle, hold this position for as long as you can. Wall squats will generate a great burn in your quads.
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Many studies prove that wearing more comfortable shoes and clothes to work motivates you to move more.
- Swap from a traditional desk to a standing desk
- By standing while you work, you can burn an average of 200 to 400 calories per day depending on your weight. Even by standing for only half of the day, you will enjoy the benefits of the ergonomic setup.
- Move around every hour
- Take a break every hour to walk around for a minute. This will decrease your stress level and incorporate active movement into your daily activities.
- Drink Water.
- Schedule time to fill up your water bottle throughout the day. Increasing your water consumption will give you more energy and make you feel less sluggish.
- Send your documents to the printer furthest from your desk
- Making this a habit is a great way to get those extra steps in throughout the day.
- Take a 7th hour stretch
- Additionally, aside from walking more throughout the day, take the time to do stretches and exercises.
- Track Movement
- Using a step counter will provide you with a better visualization of your activity throughout the day. If you notice personal improvement, you will be more motivated to maintain your current performance.