10 Tips to Get in Shape while saving Money
Posted by MoneyKey on May 4, 2015
Whether you want to start working out for health reasons or because summer is coming, getting in shape is a great goal, but can cost a lot of money. A gym membership is roughly $50 a month and DVD exercise programs can cost hundreds of dollars. It may seem like getting in shape will cost you an arm and a leg, but don’t let a lack of budget stop you from your fitness goals.
Save Money and Get in Shape with these 10 Completely Free Fitness Tips:
- Check to see if your local library has exercise DVDs you can check out at no cost (as long as you avoid late return fees)
- Use free online fitness programs like Popsugar
- Soups cans can double as light weights
- Save money on a gym membership by asking your friends and family if they have a condo gym or free guest pass you can use
- If you live in a neighborhood with hills use this to your advantage. Walking on an incline burns almost as many calories as running and really tones your muscles
- Join a free community running group (look online or at local fitness stores like The Running Room)
- Ask if your work has a company sports teams you can join. This is a great way to get exercise, save money on registration fees, and build positive relationships with co-workers
- Many yoga studios will have a ‘work for class’ program. This is where the studio will trade an hour yoga class for an hour of helping out (folding and washing towels, cleaning floors, etc.)
- Local community centers often offer free drop in times for tennis courts or pools
- Volunteer as a dog walker at your local animal shelter. Not only will you get free exercise, but you will also be helping a furry friend in need
Getting in shape doesn’t have to be a big expense. If you get creative there are lots of ways to workout without spending money.