25 Low Cost Date Night Ideas
Posted by MoneyKey
on July 20, 2015
Dating can get expensive with dinners, drinks, tickets etc. Planning interesting things to do can make it seem like your budget will take a big hit, but it doesn’t have to. Here are some memorable, low cost date night ideas that save money without being boring.
- Antique Shopping: Visit local antique shops or flea markets in search of treasures.
- Tour Open Houses: Look up open houses in your area and tour them. This is an easy way to get decorating ideas and see what you and partner like.
- Test Drive Cars: Test drive your dream car. It’s a fun fantasy date at no cost as long as you’re willing to play along with the salesman.
- Coupon Websites: Look on websites like Groupon and LivingSocial for deals on events and outings. It is an easy way to save money on more expensive activities.
- Look for Free Intro Classes: Sometimes exercise classes will offer a free intro class. This is a great opportunity to get active and try something new together.
- Attend Local Events: Check community websites to see if there are free events in your area like a movie night in the park or free local music festival.
- Find “Cheap Days”: Theaters and museums often offer a “reduced” price on admission once a week. This is a great way to still have a traditional date night without paying full price. For extra value, bring your own snacks to the theater.
- Amateur Comedy Nights: Tickets to well-known comedians are pricey, but if comedy is your thing try checking out local amateur nights. Tickets are inexpensive, sometimes even free, and you never know what talent is there waiting to be discovered.
- Darts: Go to a local dive bar and play darts. Drinks are cheap and the activity itself is free.
- Biking: Go for a bike ride around your local park. Bike rentals are low cost, or free if you have your own, and it’s a great way to get active together.
- Swimming: Often community centers will have a reduced price for specific swim times or save money and go to a nearby lake. Just make sure to check online to see if the lake is safe and cleared for swimming!
- Hiking: Check out free hiking trails around your area. A free adventure can be just a short drive away. Always make sure to bring water and closely follow the safety instructions outlined by the specific park.
- Tennis: Tennis is another great couple’s activity. Many community tennis courts are open to the public and renting a racket is often inexpensive. You can save money by asking a friend or family member if they have a spare racket, or two, you can borrow.
- Go Fishing: Tackle and sporting shops will sometimes have low cost group rates that will get you out on a boat and teach you how to fish.
- Beach Day: Enjoy the sun and save money by packing all your own food and drinks. Remember to pack sunscreen as well!
- Fruit Picking: Strawberries picking season is in the summer and apple picking is in early fall. This is an activity you can do together and the fruit is usually much cheaper (and much more fresh) than what you would find at the grocery store.
- Picnic: Here are some inexpensive ways to enjoy a picnic.
- Mini Golf: Ideas 18 -20 are all classic dates you probably did in your youth. They are fun, interactive and inexpensive dates.
- Roller Skating
- Salsa Night: Learn Salsa Moves on YouTube and practice at home together. Once you feel you’ve got the moves, try them out a dance club or if you’re shy, look for “Beginner’s Nights”.
- Bonfires: All you need to buy for this date is marshmallows. Before having a bonfire, make sure you are in an area that permits this and use a fire pit to ensure safety.
- Stargazing: Drive out to the country and watch the stars, if you have a telescope even better. Print out all the constellations and make it a game to find them all in the night’s sky.
- Game Night: If going out isn’t for you, having a game night with all the classics (Monopoly, Life, Twister) is a great way to still stay at home, but gets you off the couch and interacting with each other.
- At Home Cooking Class: Cooking classes are often expensive. Save money by finding a recipe online and making it together. This date night will only cost the price of the groceries and, if all goes well, you’ll get a delicious meal out of it.
Fun and memorable dates don’t have to cost a fortune! You can save money without always having to stay home if you get creative.