Whether you want to start working out for health reasons or because summer is coming, getting in shape is a great goal, but can cost a lot of money. A gym membership is roughly $50 a month and DVD exercise programs can cost hundreds of dollars. It may seem like getting in shape will cost you an arm and a leg, but don’t let a lack of budget stop you from your fitness goals.
Save Money and Get in Shape with these 10 Completely Free Fitness Tips:
- Check to see if your local library has exercise DVDs you can check out at no cost (as long as you avoid late return fees)
- Use free online fitness programs like Popsugar
- Soups cans can double as light weights
- Save money on a gym membership by asking your friends and family if they have a condo gym or free guest pass you can use
- If you live in a neighborhood with hills use this to your advantage. Walking on an incline burns almost as many calories as running and really tones your muscles
- Join a free community running group (look online or at local fitness stores like The Running Room)
- Ask if your work has a company sports teams you can join. This is a great way to get exercise, save money on registration fees, and build positive relationships with co-workers
- Many yoga studios will have a ‘work for class’ program. This is where the studio will trade an hour yoga class for an hour of helping out (folding and washing towels, cleaning floors, etc.)
- Local community centers often offer free drop in times for tennis courts or pools
- Volunteer as a dog walker at your local animal shelter. Not only will you get free exercise, but you will also be helping a furry friend in need
Getting in shape doesn’t have to be a big expense. If you get creative there are lots of ways to workout without spending money.